Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Blue Italian


I was at Home Goods this week when, to my surprise, I looked up and was greeted by the happy sight of a Spode Blue Italian dinner plate! Strangely enough, there were no other Spode pieces there, but it was encouraging because new Spode has been strangely absent from stores around me lately. Perhaps more will follow!



Running across the Blue Italian pattern reminded me that I had not actually done much research on it yet, so I pulled my copy of Antique Blue and White Spode by Sydney B. Williams and opened to the chapter called “The Italian Influence”. I found out that, while the other Spode patterns featuring scenes from Italy were all based upon engravings from Merigot’s Views of Rome and its Vicinity, the engraving upon which the Blue Italian pattern was based had not yet been discovered at the time of Williams’ writing in 1943 or, presumably, at the time my 1987 edition was printed.

I did some further research, and found a fascinating post on the ever-informative Spode History blog, which confirmed that the source of the Blue Italian pattern is yet to be identified for sure, but there have been some possible steps forward. According to fellow Spode blogger Pam Woolliscroft, an architectural survey showed that the scene could be a composite of sketches, perhaps taken from a painting. Woolliscroft also mentioned that the Spode Museum has purchased a pen and ink drawing which could be the original, and that there is also a painting which is remarkably similar. Which, if either, is the basis for the Blue Italian pattern is yet to be discovered. Read more here.   

According to the Spode website, the Blue Italian pattern has been in production since 1816. And I must admit that as much as I love the antique dishes, it is wonderful to be able to put the newer Spode pieces in the dishwasher after a big gathering such as Christmas or Thanksgiving when there has been a houseful to feed. The new dishes are also microwave safe, which is great for reheating leftovers after the guests have left. 

There are arguments for both the new and the antique, but if the new Spode dishes appeal to you, you might stop by Home Goods for a Blue Italian dinner plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment