Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2019

An Unusual Spode Sighting

Yesterday I was at a thrift store. That's not an unusual thing at all for me, but this time I had determined to be focused and not even go down the housewares aisles at all. My determination held until I was just about to get into the checkout line with my one item (now that's unusual!). It was at that point I decided to look at the section that had plates, just to see if there was any Spode.

Now, I have only ever found Spode at this particular thrift store once before, so the fact that I went to the housewares section with even the thought of looking for Spode is remarkable. However, I turned down the aisle and was met with a very unconventional bit of Spode pattern:

It was a set of bowls with a composite picture printed on them of various blue and white transferware pieces. Interestingly, I noticed the Spode pattern in the top left corner before I even noticed the dishes themselves. (It's Blue Italian, if you were wondering... and the plate behind it looks to be the same pattern.)













As I was looking at the bowls a bit of real Spode blue further down the aisle caught my eye. Upon investigation, I discovered that there were two Spode plates, marked 6.99 for the pair! --Not only that, but one of them was the "Continental Views" pattern which I had been wanting to add to my collection! (More on the "Continental Views" pattern to come!)



Needless to say, I was glad to have taken a look "just in case"!

No comments:

Post a Comment