Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2019

Pasta Bowls: Practical or Pointless?

A while back, I decided to make a list of what dishes I had, and which dishes I still needed. As I browsed the search results for "blue Spode" on Amazon.com, I began listing the things I wanted in order of importance. At the bottom of the list, in tiny letters, with a question mark at the end, were the two words: "pasta bowls". I almost didn't write them down because, let's be honest, there are many kinds of bowls to choose from. With soup bowls, cereal bowls (coupe or ascot), dessert bowls, serving bowls of many shapes, sizes, and descriptions, who needs a separate bowl just to eat pasta from?



One day, while at an antique store, I came across one of these flat pasta bowls at a rather good price and in the Geranium pattern I had been wanting, so I bought it, figuring that I could try it out and see if I thought it would be worth the investment to buy more.

That very day, my eBay search turned up what looked like a set of pasta bowls, but in the description it sounded like it was just one. It was about the same price as the one I had just bought, but I wasn't sure if I should spend money on yet another pasta bowl. I shared my dilemma with my mom, who asked to see the bowl I had just bought. As I showed it to her, she immediately gave me the answer to my dilemma: she pointed out that they would be perfect for a main dish salad! Now, I don't eat pasta very often, but I do eat salads, especially in the summer! So, I placed my bid for more pasta bowls.

To be fair, the soup bowls might work well for salads, but the unique shape of the pasta bowls makes them perfect for a salad: flat like a plate, but with short, curved sides which keep bits of salad from sliding off while you're eating. The other benefit of the plates is that I am far more likely to eat a salad if I can put it into a dish in which it looks beautiful!

This first week of Summer break, I have enjoyed going out to the garden and picking fresh greens for my salads, which of course look beautiful in my blue and white Spode pasta bowls!

[P.S.]
 --I have yet to use them for pasta...


No comments:

Post a Comment