Search This Blog

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Tips on Recognizing Old Spode

The newest addition to my small collection of Spode is what is probably a rimmed soup bowl in the Blue Italian pattern. 



It has a bit of a ridge around the edge, where the bowl and rim meet, which makes me wonder if it might actually be some sort of covered dish, similar to the muffin dish pictured in an earlier post. It is a bit shallow for a muffin dish, however, so my assessment thus far leans heavily in favor of a soup bowl. I suppose another option could be something like a lidded butter dish as well, although I haven't explored that possibility yet.

I had found this "mystery" bowl on eBay a while back, and there were several things about the listing that caught my eye and caused me to decide to bid on it. 

The first thing I noticed was that, the listing was for a "bowl", no other categories given. Those who know Spode usually include the type of bowl in the title. (e.g. "soup bowl", "ascot cereal bowl", "Pasta bowl", "Serving bowl", etc.)

Another thing about the listing that tipped me off was the fact that the pattern was misnamed. This was especially significant since Blue Italian is by far the most common of the Spode patterns. In this case, instead of Blue Italian, the seller merely described the pattern as "castle". (There is, by the way, a Spode pattern called "Gothic Castle", but  it bears no similarity to Blue Italian.)

When I looked at the pictures, the bowl had all the hallmarks of a piece of Old Spode, which are as follows:

1.The Back Mark
According to my amateur research (meaning I looked it up in my Spode resource books), this plain, impressed marking was used prior to 1833, which is when the Copeland period began. 

The Spode period lasted from 1764 to 1833, after which time "Copeland" appeared on the back markings alongside or sometimes instead of the Spode name. Markings from the Spode period also tend to be impressed, rather than transfer printed. (Although I have read that both Spode and Copeland period marks could be found either impressed, stamped, or transfer printed.)
Another indication that this is from a period prior to 1833 is the fact that the country of origin is not included in the marking. In 1833, legislation was passed in the United States that required all marked goods imported into the country to be marked with their country of origin. Thus, Spode pieces from 1833 on typically include the word "England" as part of their back marking.

The number, I believe, is a workman's mark. It was common during the Spode period for workers to use a number, letter, or other marking to signify that they were the workman who made a particular piece. This ensured that they would be paid for their work, since pay was based on how many items they completed.

2. The Feel: Thickness and Weight:

Another indication that the piece is old is the feel of the material itself. New Spode feels heavy and thick, like stoneware, while old Spode tends to feel thinner, more fragile, almost. It is a little lighter, and the plain white of the underside of the piece tends to be a bit less brilliant than new Spode, and perhaps even a little yellowy.

3. The Color: Faded, Lighter, or Slightly Different Hue.

Now, when I received this bowl, I was at first unsure that it could actually be old, because the glaze and the pattern were in such good condition. I thought perhaps it could be a reproduction, but when I compared the coloring with the brand-new Blue Italian cake stand I had just bought, as well as a Blue Italian cereal bowl, also brand new, the difference was striking. These two pieces are the exact same pattern, but their coloring is noticeably distinct:





While one is more purple, the other is a dusky hue, with almost a hint of yellow. The latter is consistent with another piece in my tiny collection, a soup tureen which dates from the Spode period as well.  The feel and look of both pieces being consistent, I became convinced that the finish was merely well-preserved. Also, upon further inspection, it does have some very light scratches in the glazing, just on the surface, consistent with use and age.

~ ~ ~ 

I always like to imagine where these old pieces of Spode have come from and what kind of "life" they have had before arriving on my doorstep. I believe this piece was either part of someone's collection, or else it is part of a lidded serving dish which was not needed very often. This would account for the well-preserved nature of the piece, particularly if there had been a lid, and it had not survived long and the base had been set aside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment