Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2019

Cereal Bowls-- an Unexpected Blessing

Today, I stopped by TJ Maxx in search of a new journal. As I neared the first of the clearance displays on the back aisle (my favorite aisle in the store...) I met with the most unexpected and wonderful surprise!


Not only was there an abundance of Blue Italian, there was also a rack full of the Ascot cereal bowls I had been searching for!

When I first began collecting Spode, I was disappointed that there were no bowls to go with the plates I so loved. I must admit that it was not till last winter that I actually looked online to see if there were any Spode bowls in existence. That was when I first typed in "Blue Spode" to the Amazon.com search bar and was delighted to find that there was ever so much more Spode than I had realized.

I had bought a set of wide-rimmed soup bowls, but I soon decided that they would not work as well for cereal. Some time mid-January, I found a lovely "Camilla" patterned Ascot- style cereal bowl. It was deeply discounted because it had been cracked and repaired. With the discount, I was happy to purchase it regardless of condition, because I had been wondering how much cereal one of these bowls would hold, since they looked a bit small in the pictures.

When I checked, I found that the cereal bowl held at least one serving of cereal (according to the serving size on the box), plus just the right amount of milk. I wanted to order more cereal bowls, but they were sold out on Amazon (as they had been for months), and a visit to the Spode website yielded the same results.

A couple months later, I found a set of two similar bowls in the "Blue Italian" pattern on eBay, but I had to pay shipping and, although I got a good deal, they were still pretty expensive. When I found the cache of Spode at the store tonight, my first thought was "I don't have to pay shipping!" Then I turned one over and found that they were $8 each, which is much less than they would be individually on Amazon! $16 each, and still a few dollars less than they would be if bought as a set of four.

Now, you might be wondering about the practicality of having a separate bowls just for cereal, but they also work well for ice cream (if you like a little more than the little dessert bowls hold), and a single-serve yogurt fits nicely in the small bowls. There's just something satisfying about having a dish that holds one serving of food, instead of feeling like your one serving is tiny because it's sitting in a too-large dish. --Think of it as beautiful portion control!



There were also several spice jars on clearance, including the Basil jar which I had been wanting, for only $6, as well as lots of dinner and salad plates. I exercised my self-control, however, and only purchased this much:




No comments:

Post a Comment